Dates and Locations: (contact CHL for workshop inquiry)
- Learn insect fragment and rodent hair recognition and identification.
- Learn AOAC/AACC extraction methods.
- Learn identification of stored product pests.
- Small classes (6 max) with individual instruction.
- Comprehensive check sample program included.
3-day workshop including short evening sessions
To receive an application,
- Future Dates by Appointment
Course needs a minium of 4 attendees
please send an e-mail to
Extraneous Matter Workshop Description:
The subject matter covered:
Attendee provides his or her own stereoscopic microscope and lamp. The microscope
should have a magnification range of 30x to 60x with eyepieces no greater than 15x.
A bright illuminator is a must. For those who don't have an illuminator capable of
focusing a concentrated beam, it will be necessary to acquire one before the workshop.
The Universal, AO (AO#653) illuminator is recommended.
- Introduction to general entomology.
- General morphology with concentration on micromorphology of specific food pests.
- Reading prepared filter papers in insect recognition and identification.
Personal instruction at the microscope is given.
- Rodent hair recognition and identification.
- Follow up check samples over six months after the workshop.
Two flour extractions and counts. One flour extraction and count with
critique of actual counted insect fragments.
By Appointment: prorated at $800/day/attendee
Your prompt response is requested. A limited number of participants are enrolled so
that individualized instruction is possible.
Joseph B. Martinelli has been providing extraneous matter workshops since 1974 and possesses graduate
degrees in Chemistry and Science Education. He is a licensed educator in the states
of New York and New Jersey.
Past Participants from T J Lipton, Alpo Petfoods,Fish Inspection Lab-Nova Scotia, Griffith Labs,Amstar Corp., Michigan Fruit Canners, Haarmann & Reimer, Lafayette Pharmacal, Norcliff Thayer Inc., Q.C. Laboratory, Schoeller Technical Papers, Inc., CPC - Corn Products, Ross Labs, Sillker Labs, Nabisco Brands, Inc., Saratoga Specialties, Best Foods Baking, R.C. Biglow, Frontier Cooperative Hersb, Good Housekeeping, Dulces Luisi-Mexico, Pinkerton Tobacco Co., Campbell Soup, ADM, Mrs. Baird's Bakeries, Tastemaker, Gerber Products, Firmenich Inc., Wilbur Chocolate, Quest Int'l, Hainan Dic Microalgae Co-China, Coca Cola Foods, Dainippon Ink and Chemicals-Japan, USDA-GIPSA-FGIS - MO, Nestle USA, Siam Algae Co-Samutprakarn, Nabisco Canada, Earthrise Nutritionals -- not a complete list